Monday, July 23, 2012

Past lives

Have you ever made such drastic changes in your life that you feel like you've lived a completely separate life? Whether you've moved many miles and taken a completely different job or made entirely new friends... Sometimes the former life seems rise tinted. It's so easy to forget the hard parts and only remember the wonderful parts. Sometimes the bad parts even get romanticized so they seem wonderful.
It seems that this is my defining character trait at the moment in my life. I dream of times gone by, but as Dumbledore said "it does not do to dwell on dreams," or something like that. I forget how miserable I was because I only see the good things. Although I see that so many feel the exact same way. Ireland seems to somehow, even though it might be one of the most backward countries in the world, be one of the most intoxicating places in the world. Something about it seems to be so magical and melodious. The air of tragedy and melancholy seems to feed art. So many fantastic authors: Joyce and Yeats and Wilde and Beckett and Shaw to name just a few. That doesn't include the countless songwriters like MacGowan and Moore, or any that came before them.
Ireland will always be my true home, but I have learned and will continue to learn to be away.

No comments:

Post a Comment