Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Written Word

A love for the written word runs in my family. All three of us (two sisters and myself) are mildly obsessed with it. My youngest sister actually is in school for creative writing. Her passion for what she does inspires me. I am determined to be able to write when I am happy. It is extremely difficult for me though, unfortunately. It takes dedication and discipline to catalogue my thoughts, and there are so many of them.
I have recently developed a love/hate relationship with James Joyce and his Stephen Dedalus. I have never had such trouble with a novel that I have had with Ulysses. It is difficult to read at best, but it is so decidedly brilliant because it captures perfectly the "stream of consciousness" style. I find my thought are often as random and careless as Joyce's, and that makes me love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment